[lug] Questions on /dev

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Aug 9 04:28:53 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 19:12 -0400, Gordon Golding wrote:
> This is RedHat Enterprise WS.
> Somebodies box wouldn't boot.  I brought it up on a rescue disk and found that /dev only had 4 entries:
> initctl  log  null  /pts
>
> Question 1:  Any Ideas as to how that could happen?
>
> I copied /dev from a machine "as close as possible" to this one.
> It errored on the mouse, Kudzu didn't come up to re-configure it.
> So I unplugged and rebooted and replugged and rebooted - Kudzu noticed and fixed it.
>
> The X11 server was dead - it asked to reconfigure the Monitor and managed OK.
>
> The CDs ARE dead.  The hwbrowser shows:
> Sony CD-RW CRX216E         scd0
> Philips DVD+RW  DVD8601    scd1
> /etc/fstab:
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>
> /dev:
> hda
> hdb
>
> I looked at the machine I copied from.  It has:
> /etc/fstab:
> /dev/hdb                /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> /dev/hda                /media/cdrecorder1      auto    pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
>
> /dev:
> hda
> hdb
>
> I looked at another machine here:
> /etc/fstab:
> ...same as above
>
> /dev:     !!!This one has links for cdrom and cdrom1
> cdrom -> hda
> cdrom1 -> hdb
> cdwriter -> hda
> cdwriter1 -> hdb
>
> So I created those same links and tried to mount /dev/cdrom
> got:
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
>
> Question 2:  Next step?

Are the CDs actually scsi cd drives or are they ide?  The fstab showing
them as scd0 and scd1 shows that the system was interacting with them as
scsi drives.

Redhat has a dev rpm that is the "The most commonly-used entries in
the /dev directory"  you might check to see if it is still installed and
install it if it isn't.

Hugh