[lug] Linux compatible video phone?

Nick Golder nrg at nirgo.net
Wed Aug 10 10:34:52 MDT 2005

On 2005-08-10 09:53 -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> having recently moved from Georgia to colorado, myu kids would like to
> talk to their old friends via some kind of video conference.  I
> believe that MS netmeeting can do this, and I also think that
> gnomeMeeting is compatible with netmeeting.

Yes.
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=3&pos=0&faqpage=x56.html#AEN62

> Anyone know if they have compatible video conferencing?  Or have a
> better suggestion for a video app?

I have had the best results with GnomeMeeting (actually, the only
results).

> What should I be looking for in terms of cameras?  How good is Linux
> at handling web-cams?

You most likely want a good picture (I assume it is being used on a desktop
system) vs. being concerned with portability and power consumption which
takes a bite out of performance (it seems that the smaller ones have poorer
optics).

YMMV when choosing a webcam.  Do a little research before going out and
purchasing one.  This is the driver that I am using including a list of
supported devices:
http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

Here is a more generic listing of devices (although it may be a little
dated):
http://www.linux-usb.org/devices.html#multi

--
-Nick Golder