[lug] subversion questions

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Aug 10 15:51:27 MDT 2005

Hugh Brown wrote:
> I'm fairly confident that on previous versions of subversion (1.0 and 1.1
> I believe),
> you needed the client to be at a minimum level to work with the server
> (and those two didn't get
> along).

Ok, solved! The server owner found that there was some sort of bug when
working with sym links on that server version. svn is supposed to work
with sym links, and one of those links got turned into a hard link
during export or checkout. So the server still called it a sym link, but
the working copy was a hard link. svn will ignore sym links during
commits, and only pays attention to the hard linked file...so it sat and
did nothing on what locally appeared to be a hard link. On the server
side it still treated it as a sym link. With the server version updated
and the sym links fixed, it now works properly.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net