[lug] ARRG! Change One Little Thing And...

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Tue Aug 16 08:55:33 MDT 2005

It may not have shutdown completely/gracefully.  Check for running httpd
processes and also httpd.pid or equiv in /var/run or where configured.

Bill Thoen wrote:
> My web server (apache on RH 9) has been ticking along perfectly for months
> with no restarts, but then someone told me one of my web pages wasn't
> producing the right mime type for an SVG file. So I added
>
> AddType image/svg+xml .svg
>
> to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, and tried to resart the httpd service.
> Well, it stopped allright, but it won't start now, and I get this message:
>
> Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
> address 0.0.0.0:443 no listening sockets available, shutting down
>
> Does anyone know what this means (besides the fact that my web site is now
> flatlined?)
>
> TIA,
>
> - Bill Thoen

Michael Belanger
CICLOPS, Space Science Institute

phone. 720-974-5853   Jabber: mrb at jabber.ciclops.org
fax.   720-974-5860

DISCLAIMER:
The Sender and Cassini Imaging Central Laboratory for Operations
accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the
consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information
provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in
writing. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in