[lug] Building and running evlution on RHEL 4

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 11:41:54 MDT 2005

Anyone have any experience building evolution on RHEL 4?  I'm helping
someone try to get evolution connected to our Exchange server on RHEL
4 with little success.

The evolution shipping with the distribution seems to read email okay
(a little slow...) but we couldn't get it to connect with the LDAP
directory at all.  The option is greyed out in the dialoge box to
connect to LDAP.  It appears the RH disabled it, or rather did not
enable it.

So, one to the source!  We downloaded all the tar-balls from the
evolution homepage.  We build everything and install it in /opt.  For
good measure we even removed all the evolution RPMs.  But now, when we
try to run it we get a dialogue with: "Evolution can not start.  You
system configuration does not match your Evolutions configuration."

On the commandline the following is printed:
es menu class init
evolution-shell-Message: Killing old version of evolution-data-server...

Since we removed all the old versions, I'm confused as to how I can be
running an old version of evolution-data-server.

Any hints?  Thanks,

Michael