[lug] Building and running evlution on RHEL 4

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Aug 16 18:01:28 MDT 2005

Michael Hirsch wrote:
> Anyone have any experience building evolution on RHEL 4?  I'm helping
> someone try to get evolution connected to our Exchange server on RHEL
> 4 with little success.
>
> The evolution shipping with the distribution seems to read email okay
> (a little slow...) but we couldn't get it to connect with the LDAP
> directory at all.  The option is greyed out in the dialoge box to
> connect to LDAP.  It appears the RH disabled it, or rather did not
> enable it.

If RH didn't build it in, call them and get a rebuilt RPM.  You (well,
someone) paid them for support, didn't you?  Paying customers shouldn't
have to work around RH's configure choices--that's what support is for.

I wouldn't use the tar balls under any circumstances.  Costs too much in
learning curve and maintainability.  At best, if you have to change
compile options, I'd get the RH SRPMs and build from those.

Dave