[lug] Re: [clue-tech] kppp and indra.com?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 14:01:29 MDT 2005

Bamm Visscher wrote:
> Call the ISP and ask them if they are using PAP or CHAP to
> authenticate. If so, read this:
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/x1005.html
>
> It's been a while since I've dealt with dialup, but I always use to
> use minicom to make sure the initial stages of my login in worked and
> then started pppd by hand. I have a script laying around somewhere
> that I used for compuserv (emergency backup for work). If you can
> establish the login sequence with minicom, then you should be able to
> mod this for your use.

I'm pretty sure Bamm has this one right...PAP not being set up causes
failure right at the moment of connect...it dials, you get a carrier,
then it drops you. CHAP is the initial PAP plus random challenges. Your
password and login name have to be in the pap-secrets and chap-secrets
files (at least those are the names for redhat/fedora,
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets or chap-secrets). For fedora/redhat you would
always enter a name and pass, then optionally other parameters in case
you have more than 1 ISP or connect. For fedora/redhat, those files must
also be set to not be readable by anyone but root, else it'll refuse to
work (they contain plain text passwords).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net