[lug] Router Recommendation

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Aug 27 15:06:31 MDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 04:52:26PM -0600, George Sexton wrote:
>server, and configure it the cost would be pretty close to the same for a
>lot less capability.

I'm not sure you fully understand the capability of a $800 Linux router...
For example, can the Adtran handle full BGP feeds from multiple providers,
shaping of inbound and outbound traffic, firewall rules that rate-limit
traffic based on remote IP address dynamicly, accounting of traffic at
50kpps and up to 1gbps, extensive shaping and filtering without pushing
packets through a "slow path", openvpn based VPNs, redundant routing,
and on and on...

I've looked at a LOT of networking gear, and while some of it can handle
more PPS, there are few things in the under $10k range that even come close
to the sheer capabilities of a Linux router.

Sean
--
 This mountain is PURE SNOW!  Do you know what the street value of this
 mountain is!?!                -- Better Off Dead