[lug] glibc and yum update woes

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Sat Aug 27 18:00:03 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 17:51 -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> I ran yum check-update and found it wants to update glibc-devel and
> glibc-headers on FC4. Unfortunately, trying to update results in
> dependency errors and it won't let me do it, nor can I figure out what I
> can remove without harming the system (looks like several glibc versions):
> ///////////////////////////////
[snip lots]

Looks like you somehow installed two versions of glibc.  You have to
either remove one, the .90 version probably, or instead of using -U, use
-i.

-U is upgrade, and upgrade tries to remove all other versions of the rpm
after installing the new one.  -i will (usually) happily install
duplicate versions of rpms.  It should only complain if the two rpms
want to own the same filenames.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>