[lug] glibc and yum update woes

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Aug 28 16:49:45 MDT 2005

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> D> Well, through a judicious use of yum erase and --nodeps on glibc
> D> 2.3.90 (this made me really nervous, I thought I'd never do this),
>
> woah...2.3.90? Thats the version in fedora development (ie, rawhide).

I'm pretty sure you hit the nail on the head. I don't use the devel
stuff like rawhide, but a while back I was mucking around with yum
configuration, trying to figure out how to de-list one mirror that
always has an error (the mirror doesn't have a yum repository where the
url is looking), as well as turn on the extras server for yum. Well, I
had a cron job set to run yum, and while working on the configs, I had
enabled testing for a bit, I wanted to see what it would say it would
replace by running yum check-update. Unfortunately, I believe the cron
job ran.

I've dug around some more, and it looks like some of the gtk/gnome stuff
got "upgraded" to the test version.

> D> I got rid of some of those problems and used yum update to get all
> D> of my glibc working via yum. I'm still a bit disgusted that they'd
> D> put something like gqview on fedora-extras as an update that
> D> requires a dependency not available on any of the fedora servers.
>
> Where did you get gqview? From fedora-extras for development?
> If so, it would have had dependencies to development libs...

Originally I'm not certain, but I *think* it was from fedora-extras. I
know for a fact I never use devel on purpose. Somewhere during that cron
job it updated a bunch of gtk/gnome stuff, apparently gqview is one of them.

> You should get it from the fc4 fedora-extras if you are running fc4.

Indeed, that's what I was trying to install as an update and it wouldn't
let me. Sadly, yum does not seem to have a way to "update" from
non-devel to devel and vice-versa. So I'm left figuring out by hand what
rpm's need to be forced...regular rpm deps do not seem to want to allow
me to reinstall the non-devel versions.

> gqview works great on my fc4 laptop.
> It also works on my fedora development test box, but they are _not_
> linked against the same libs...

Yup, a number of my gtk and gnome stuff now fails. All of them want
devel versions...not directly but each time they run some library they
link to wants something that's missing. This was a test install on a
spare drive anyway, I'd like to save it but if it gets to be too much
trouble I'll wipe it and start over, saving things like my /etc/ first
(I still have my original FC2 I can copy it all over to).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net