[lug] Trying to get an NX connection

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Aug 30 09:20:12 MDT 2005

> I did copy the id from the server into the windows client, so I think I'm
> okay there.
>
> On the Linux, server side:
> nx-1.5.0-0.centos4
> freenx-0.4.4-1.centos4
>
> The Windows client is 1.5.1-103
>
> The only way I've goten it to work so far is with KNoppix. The latest
> Knoppix DVD has an NX server on it. I ran it and entered a password, then
> could log in from a linux nx client.
>
> --Michael

Are the 1.5 nx client and freenx 0.4.4 server compatible?
I know they recently rev'ed the commercial stuff from 1.4 to 1.5 but
finding useful info on the nomachine site is painful (e.g. like the
changelog from 1.4 to 1.5 or release notes for 1.5).

When you log in as the nx user, do you get the nxserver prompt?

On the commercial nx server, you have to either set up users within nx or
you have to configure it to use pam.  I've used freenx successfully at
home, but I can't remember what I did to configure it.

Hugh