[lug] Trying to get an NX connection

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 09:47:53 MDT 2005

On 8/30/05, Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu> wrote:

> > I did copy the id from the server into the windows client, so I think
> I'm
> > okay there.
> >
> > On the Linux, server side:
> > nx-1.5.0-0.centos4
> > freenx-0.4.4-1.centos4
> >
> > The Windows client is 1.5.1-103
> >
> > The only way I've goten it to work so far is with KNoppix. The latest
> > Knoppix DVD has an NX server on it. I ran it and entered a password,
> then
> > could log in from a linux nx client.
> >
> > --Michael
> >

> Are the 1.5 nx client and freenx 0.4.4 server compatible?
> I know they recently rev'ed the commercial stuff from 1.4 to 1.5 but
> finding useful info on the nomachine site is painful (e.g. like the
> changelog from 1.4 to 1.5 or release notes for 1.5).

Hmm. That could be it. I have no idea, actually, about compatibility. I'll
try to time out. As you say, research on this can be painful. I have found
this to have fairly weak documentation. And the scripts in the examples
directory don't run.

When you log in as the nx user, do you get the nxserver prompt?

Yes:
$ ssh -i client.id_dsa.key nx at xcoisaacf40
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
Last login: Mon Aug 29 17:04:23 2005 from 172.20.4.124 <http://172.20.4.124>
32 bit Pentium i686 PC
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-44 OS (GPL)

On the commercial nx server, you have to either set up users within nx or
> you have to configure it to use pam. I've used freenx successfully at
> home, but I can't remember what I did to configure it.

I'll see if I can get it to use PAM. But I do wonder about comptibility
between my client and the server.

Michael