[lug] Open Source Stand Alone Backup anyone?

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Tue Aug 30 12:34:33 MDT 2005

It seems to me there should be an open source project somewhere that would
allow me to pop in a single CD distro of linux, boot, pop out the CD, insert
a (possibly multiple) blank DVD to create a compressed image of my entire
boot disk including MBR and partition information.  Later when my hard drive
has crashed (from software, not hardware), I would be able to boot from the
single CD linux distro and restore the boot disk from the DVD. Of course, I
would be able to restore multiple partitions regardless of what OS (linux or
windows) was installed in the partition.

Linux has DVD burners, it has the ability to read its own file systems (of
course), the ability to understand partitions (fdisk) and even the ability
to understand Windows NTFS file partitions' contents. This latter feature
should allow it to backup windows intelligently.

Does anyone know of such a open source project?

Thanks,
Siegfried