[lug] Trying to get an NX connection

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 16:03:43 MDT 2005

On 8/30/05, Lee Woodworth <blug-mail at duboulder.com> wrote:

> Michael Hirsch wrote:

> >>Hmm. That could be it. I have no idea, actually, about compatibility.
> I'll
> >>try to time out. As you say, research on this can be painful. I have
> found
> >>this to have fairly weak documentation. And the scripts in the examples
> >>directory don't run.
> >>

> > Well, there is a config option to support the 1.5 clients, which I have
> now
> > enabled. No joy.
> >
> > When you log in as the nx user, do you get the nxserver prompt?
> >

> >>Yes:
> >>$ ssh -i client.id_dsa.key nx at xcoisaacf40
> >>Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
> forwarding.
> >>Last login: Mon Aug 29 17:04:23 2005 from 172.20.4.124<http://172.20.4.124>
> <http://172.20.4.124>
> >>32 bit Pentium i686 PC
> >>HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-44 OS (GPL)
> >>NX>
> >>
> >>On the commercial nx server, you have to either set up users within nx
> or

> >>I'll see if I can get it to use PAM.
> >>

> > I think I can now prove that it isn't the server that is the problem.
> Using
> > tcpdump I can show that the server recieves no packets from the client
> when
> > I run the client.
> What about tcpdump from the client side? Are any packets being sent at all
> (perhaps to the wrong address?).
>
> If the connection uses SSH, I would check the X-forwarding settings in
> the client config (/etc/ssh_config, man 5 ssh_config) and on the server
> (/etc/sshd_config, man 5 sshd_config).

I'm not sure how to do any of than on windows. Certainly, I don't have
tcpdump installed on it. We are on a switched network, so I can't just run
tcpdump on a randown Linux box, either.

> > The client (windows NX client 1.5.0) puts up a window which says
> "Setting up
> > the X environment" and then hangs there forever. Clearly that isn't
> working.
> > Do I need to be running an X-server on the windows box first, or
> something?

My new favorite theory is that it is a cygwin conflict. I have cygwin
installed, of course (how else could I get work done?) and I've found a few
references that in the past there were conflicts b/w the NX cygwin and
previously installed cygwins.

Michael