[lug] mandriva 10.2 limited edition 2005

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Aug 31 11:01:43 MDT 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Michael Belanger wrote:

> On Wed, August 31, 2005 9:09 am, Michael Hirsch said:
> > Hugh,
> >
> > I'm glad you found the extra urpm site. Even though the release came on 6
> > CDs, it seems like there are still a few critical rpms on the net, only. I
> > don't know why they do that--sometimes I think that they just forgot to
> > put
> > them on the CD.
>
> That was what really turned me off to debian.  I spent a week downloading
> umpteen cd images, burned them all, and it STILL had dependency issues.
> Debian is good -- once you do get it installed and working.  I have yet to
> successfully get a running gentoo install -- and I really wanted it to
> work.
> Too bad my desire didn't just will it to work.  I imaging Gentoo, once
> initially installed, is pretty slick.  Its a shame.
>
> So, sigh, I had to go back to Fedora and their brief lifecycles and their
> vanilla i386 builds.  argh.

With debian, I just downloaded the installer CD (about 100MB) and then let
it go from there.  I like with Debian that I can just apt-get install
<foo> when I need/want it.

I think what threw me with Mandrake was that it used to be all about the
cd and if it wasn't on the CD, you were building it from source (I haven't
used mandrake since 5.3 can you tell? :)

It looks like they are moving to a more debian-esque set up with the
repositories being definitive and the cd's as a means of bootstrapping to
get at the repositories.

Hugh