[lug] mandriva 10.2 limited edition 2005

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Wed Aug 31 15:18:47 MDT 2005

Michael Belanger wrote:
> On Wed, August 31, 2005 9:09 am, Michael Hirsch said:
>
>>Hugh,
>>
>>I'm glad you found the extra urpm site. Even though the release came on 6
>>CDs, it seems like there are still a few critical rpms on the net, only. I
>>don't know why they do that--sometimes I think that they just forgot to
>>put
>>them on the CD.
>

> That was what really turned me off to debian.  I spent a week downloading
> umpteen cd images, burned them all, and it STILL had dependency issues.
> Debian is good -- once you do get it installed and working.  I have yet to
> successfully get a running gentoo install -- and I really wanted it to
> work.
What didn't work for you? I have six systems with gentoo (AMD64, Athlon XP,
PIII, Celeron). It does take a long time to recompile everything from stage 1
on slow machines (24 hours+ on a PIII 1.1Ghz laptop), and you do need to get
grub installed right. Other than that it it isn't a lot harder than other
distros.

> Too bad my desire didn't just will it to work.  I imaging Gentoo, once
> initially installed, is pretty slick.  Its a shame.
>
> So, sigh, I had to go back to Fedora and their brief lifecycles and their
> vanilla i386 builds.  argh.
I think I saw i686 binary rpms for a few  packages with FC. I once
did a manual tar ball upgrade for SSL on a RH system. Using correct CPU
flags, the openssl test through put for the tar ball install was 100% higher
than the i386 RPM. It is probably worth it to find 686/x84_64 packages.