[lug] mandriva 10.2 limited edition 2005

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Aug 31 19:03:08 MDT 2005

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Jean. E. Adams wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Mandrake has a similar system to Debian's Apt-get.  It is just as easy
>> in Mdk to install/update using urpmi.  If you go to the
>> http://addmedia.linuxfordummies.org/ site you can add mirrors for the
>> urpmi system which makes updating and loading pre-made programs a breeze.
>

> Can Mdk do this:
>
> You installed foo, which depended on bar.  When you uninstall foo, will
> bar be uninstalled too, or do you have to remember to uninstall it as
> well?  Do you get a log of all the install/upgrade/uninstall activity?
>
> Just curious, I haven't found any RPM tools that do the above.

I don't know of any such frontends, yum is nice to find and install
dependencies. That said, if I go to uninstall foo and bar requires foo,
then it will ask if I want to also uninstall bar.

I have no doubt about it that there are all kinds of deficiencies in
many packaging systems. I keep telling people about my big wish item: A
unified packaging language (not to be confused with UPS :P) that is
modular and extensible. If you could imagine all of the distros out
there, let's say that 90% of them suddenly had interchangeable packaging
and it didn't matter which one the package was developed for originally,
it all just fit together and worked...my belief is that it would trigger
a serious increase in linux packages and creations.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net