[lug] mandriva 10.2 limited edition 2005

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 1 13:43:22 MDT 2005

Michael Hirsch wrote:

> It seems like everyone is moving that way.  We have apt, yast, urpm,
> yum,  and yast which all work essentially alike as far as package
> installation goes.  apt and urpm are scriptable--I don't know about
> the others.  And there are pretty decent GUI for them all, too.
> Actually, I'm not sure about yum, but the rest have at least one
> each.  apt has more than one: synaptic, kynaptic, and kpackage.  Seems
> like a few of the distributions should get together and agree on
> something.  My preference is apt with a synaptic front end, but I
> don't really care.  It just seems like there is a lot of duplicated
> effort going on.

I really get a kick out of this... the Debian folks were so far ahead of
everyone else in this regard for years, that it finally forced "state of
the art" forward... worldwide mirrors, DNS round-robining, automated
installation tools... they had it all and it was well thought-out.  Then
RedHat created the up2date service, and then the rest blossomed around
the same time (urpmi, RedCarpet, etc...).

Agreed that there's not much reason for all the duplication, though.
There was a movement to port apt to RH variants, but it was half-baked,
and worked, but was missing a bunch of features after the port...

It seems like all Linux's could use a simlar tool but they don't, for
whatever reasons.  If you compare them side-by-side feature-to-feature
on a timeline, they're all headed for the same "place" at the end, but
it seems like the various developers don't wish to work together...
which is interesting.

Nate