[lug] Recommendations for Instructions on Mounting W2K file systems

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Fri Sep 2 13:31:02 MDT 2005

I've just installed Windows XP and Fedora Core 4 on a new box.

I've been googling for references on samba and ntfs because I'm trying to

(1)     mount a local Windows XP partition

(2)     Mount a disk on another computer running Windows XP

I thought samba was exclusively for use with allowing Windows boxes access
linux and windows partitions on remote linux computers. Is it also used to
allow a linux box to mount both local and remote Windows XP partitions?
Apparently it is.

I'm confused, for example, by http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net
<http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/>  which explains that fedora is the only
distribution that does not have ntfs file system (which I confirmed with
"cat /proc/filesystems".) This site led me to believe that I did not need
samba. After installing the rpm for my version of the OS, I still don't see
ntfs in /proc/filesystems.

But other sites say to use "mount -t smbfs"  (does smb stand for system
message buffer or samba?) and I see from the rpm command that the fedora
installation procedures have installed samba for me but I don't see smbfs in
/proc/filesystems either. Should I?

I was able to use a "mount -t smbfs" with the username and password and
there was a long pause like it was negotiating usernames and passwords with
my windows box only to get an error message that the connection was refused
by windows.

When I dealt with the problem years ago the problem was that I had to
explicitly tell Mandrake 7.3 to encrypt the windows usernames and passwords
(which was not the default at the time). I wonder if that is my problem?

Anyway has anyone successfully mounted a local or remote ntfs partition from
Fedora Core 4? If so, how did you do it? Can you point me to the
instructions?

Thanks,

Siegfried