[lug] low profile, long IDE cables?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Sep 3 15:41:40 MDT 2005

Lee Woodworth wrote:
> D. Stimits wrote:
>
>> I'm curious if anyone knows of a place to purchase longer than normal
>> IDE cables, which are also low profile? The box I have to work with
>> has small metal slots for the cable to route through. In the past the
>> cables
>
> Are the slots large enough for the connectors? Even the braided cables
> I've worked with still had a fair amount of cable near the connectors.
>
>> I've found locally which are long enough were either too high profile
>> to get through the slots, or else were downright buggy. This is
>> parallel IDE on UDMA66 (yeah I know, ancient). The brands sold in the
>> chain stores like CompUSA were all failures.
>
> If the drives actually ground the extra wires in an 80-conductor cable
> you may have a chance that the data won't be hosed with long cables.
> Otherwise I'd bet against it.

Some of the cables from chain stores are non-ribbon, and I've never
found one that works...either it won't fit through the case slot
(possibly due to connector, possibly due to crushing the cable), or else
it simply fails with errors. Among them, I don't think I've seen one
with a separate ground strap. I'm typically very doubtful of extra long
cables, most of them seem to be a scam where they don't work at all for
90% of the customers, but the remaining 10% make them marketable.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net