[lug] Httpd log question

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Sat Sep 3 20:39:25 MDT 2005

Bill Thoen wrote:
> I'm running RH9 with apache and as I was looking through my
> /var/log/httpd/access_log file I noticed a lot of web "hits" aren't
> showing the referring URL. For example, I see things like this:
>
> 69.242.25.101 - - [28/Aug/2005:06:54:23 -0600] "GET /notebook/unusual.htm
> HTTP/1.1" 200 8497 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
> 5.0)"

That's a Comcast New Jersey address, so I'm automatically suspicious.

;^)

> Does anyone here know what other ways a web surfer can get to a page and
> leave no trace as to where they came from? I'm sort of curious because
> it's my second-most popular page and I'd like to figure out what I'm doing
> right.

Norton Internet Security allows a user to block her/his browser from
sending referrer information, and it wouldn't surprise me if other
security/privacy products provide the same option.

I don't know why people who block referrer information would congregate
around that web page, though.

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge