[lug] self-signed apache certs on fedora core?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 17:23:02 MDT 2005

I'm curious about something, I've been playing with an attempt to create
a self-signed cert on my local machine (mod_ssl comes with the snakeoil
example, I don't want to use that, but I also don't want or need a
commercial cert). If I go to the apache URL:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html#aboutcerts

...I find fairly explicit instructions for part of the process. But if I
continue down to here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html#ownca

...it turns out that it ceases giving explicit instructions, and refers
to scripts that are supposed to be provided by openssl, but which
apparently don't exist on openssl for FC4. Instead, it just says
"Prepare a script for signing", but no details. The scripts named do not
exist, I'm guessing they are provided only in the source distribution of
openssl, and I have the binary. I do have the Makefile and scripts
located at /etc/pki/, but I seem to fail in their use for a million
reasons. It looks like those scripts were designed only to create the
snakeoil certs. Has anyone here found a way to use those provided
scripts or Makefile to create a self-signed cert? If so, did you edit
those scripts any? So far I've been able to create everything up to but
not including my private CA (thus I'm unable to sign).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net