[lug] Router Recommendation

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Sep 6 16:04:35 MDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 07:47:32AM -0500, Hugh Brown wrote:
>The basic routing between two linux segments seems like it would be a
>few hours work for someone that had a very basic understanding of
>networking and a howto.  I was thinking more about the traffic shaping,
>traffic auditing/accounting, ....

Sure, those can be tough, but you hardly have the option on a Cisco and on
Linux you have many options, from simply watching the packet and byte
counters on iptables rules to, well, whatever you want to do really.

>Here's a sample of the weirdness I've seen.  I have a cronjob that runs
>every 6 hours and greps the RX line from ifconfig.  Uptime on the box is
>93 days.  Box is misleading though, since it is an instance of UML.

The samples look normal enough to me.  Perhaps you're confusion will be
cleared up if I tell you that the byte counters roll over at 1<<32
(4294967296)?

Sean
--
 Why would I want to be a Doctor, when I could be a MASTER?
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/