[lug] VOIP advice

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 8 16:12:37 MDT 2005

Rodolfo Estrada wrote:

>When I am out of town, usually in Mexico. I want to
>transfer my local calls to my location in Mexico. In
>both places I have broadband.
>
>Where do I start looking for the solution?
>Is VOIP linux a good option?
>
>Thanks,
>
> - Rodolfo

If you can change your phone number (or put up with long waits for local
number portability if it's available for your existing number), any of
the commercial VoIP vendors like Vonage or Packet8 or Broadvoice using a
standard ATA device wouldn't care if you picked that device up and took
it to Mexico when you go...

And most of them now also have "add-on" softphone software that you
could just answer your calls for that line from your laptop and a
headset/USB handset, and forego taking the gateway hardware with you on
short trips.

Of course, some of the above is controversial and TelMex has always been
government subsidized and monopolistic in Mexico, so the "official"
rules might be that you can't do this, as they'd rather you get a line
from them... but strictly technically speaking (as long as they're not
filtering VoIP ports/packets on whatever IP network you're on down
there), it's all easy to do.

There are Caribbean islands that have banned VoIP usage for phone
service because the only way they can afford to maintain their switching
infrastructure is to add-on a lot of cents per minute to long-distance
calls off the island... and they've amortized that into their payback
schedules for undersea fiber connects and circuit costs... but they're
having to reconsider how they're going to finish paying for some of
these things now that VoIP's here and easy to do.

It's a very disruptive technology in any country with a monopolized
phone system or government-run phone system.  Less disruptive in
countries with competition, but certainly changing the face of phone
service forever.

Nate