[lug] self-signed apache certs on fedora core?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Sep 8 20:09:44 MDT 2005

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> D. Stimits wrote:
>
>> Craig wrote:
>>
>>> Kind of an aside/plug -- CAcerts <cacert.org> is pretty cool. It's a
>>> free
>>> certification authority. I wish browsers would pick up it's root
>>> certificate, but it's easy enough to install if you know how.
>>

>> I plan to keep them in my notes. Unfortunately though, I'm just using
>> a dynamic IP on the Internet, and all access is for myself on a
>> private network.
>

> I think you misunderstand how web servers use certs.  The cert CN has to
> match the domain name part of the URL the browser uses.  So it's
> generally bad to use an IP as a CN and generally irrelevant what IP a CN
> resolves to (except that it resolve to the server's current IP).

All I'm saying is that I don't have a domain, this is all on a private
network without a real domain...I don't see any purpose in picking up a
real cert for a non-routable private net...but for testing this out for
future use on a public IP I need to know this. The web ports of the
given web servers are not in any way accessible to the public.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net