[lug] povray on fedora core 4

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 19:29:57 MDT 2005

I'm trying to build povray on fedora core 4 (x86), and running into a
problem I've never seen before. I think this is probably a gcc4 bug. I'm
curious if anyone here with fedora core 4 or gcc 4 has successfully
built povray 3.6.1? See:
http://www.povray.org/download/
ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Official/Linux/

The very very unusual thing that I see is that it builds fine, but any
attempt to run it results in a core dump...not just any core dump, but:
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

When I rebuild this with debug symbols, I find the core dump for illegal
instruction occurs in rendctrl.cpp, on this line:
opts.First_Column_Percent = 0.0;

This is extremely weird, because there is no way this code should be a
problem, unless gcc itself is generating invalid code. The system itself
is very stable, and I have found (and reported) other bugs which were
verified. Now my question is this...can anyone else with gcc4 or fedora
core 4 create this same error? You'd have to compile povray 3.6.1, then
run it with any argument (or none at all), since the core dump is during
init stuff. I want to find out if this happens to anyone else. The
povray people have said they believe it is a compiler problem, and I
tend to agree...but if I can't verify it then I can't turn in a bug
report to gcc.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net