[lug] Can this be done?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Sep 14 00:12:05 MDT 2005

Mike Stanczyk wrote:

>This question has nagging at me all day:
>
>Can I setup my computer so that when I click on a mailto: link
>a web browser window opens to my web based email (like gmail)
>instead of a email program (like thunderbird)?
>
>I was asked this on a Winblows system but I'm not sure it
>can be done at all.
>
>So I'll ask the list: Can you do it in any way?  Winblows,
>Linux, Mac.  Maybe a Firefox extension?
>
>Mike
>Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#colug

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\shell\open\command
C:\PROGRA~2\MOZILL~2\THUNDE~1.EXE -compose %1

That's what I've got on mine.  It's a brand new Athlon X2 3800, and I'm
tempted to just leave Windows x64 on here.  It is super responsive and
fast.  It's been so long since I've used it that I've forgotten how nice
a fresh install of Windows can be.

Anyway, you should be able to edit the value of that key to start your
web browser with a URL, and if you know the gmail magic, include the To:
address (the %1 variable will have it).