[lug] Can this be done?

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Wed Sep 14 08:48:35 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 22:41 -0600, Mike Stanczyk wrote:
> This question has nagging at me all day:
>
> Can I setup my computer so that when I click on a mailto: link
> a web browser window opens to my web based email (like gmail)
> instead of a email program (like thunderbird)?
>
> I was asked this on a Winblows system but I'm not sure it
> can be done at all.
>
> So I'll ask the list: Can you do it in any way?  Winblows,
> Linux, Mac.  Maybe a Firefox extension?

Yes, you easily can.  I believe, on Windows, the official Gmail Notifier
from Google allows one to associate mailto: to Gmail:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10966&topic=171

I don't have access to OS X, but I imagine the Gmail Notifier does it
there as well.  And, of course, I believe Gtalk has all sorts of
integration with Gmail.

If not, there are some Firefox plugins that will do it.  The old standby
was WebmailCompose:

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=206

but from the comments, it seems like maybe there are problems?  (I don't
use it so...)

Finally, there is the "Web 2.0" way to do it.  There are at least 2
Greasemonkey scripts at userscripts.org that can do something similar to
this.  One adds a Gmail compose bit next to any mailto: link in the
page, another replaces mailto: links with a compose:

http://userscripts.org/tag/gmail

And, you know, while you are there, take a look at Matt Thompson's
*super-amazing* Norlin and Boulder Public LibraryLookup scripts (under
the library tag).  They are the bestest scripts ever devised by man.
Well, a man.  Well, me.

Matt

--
The mayfly lives only one day, and sometimes it rains. - Geo. Carlin
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/