[lug] Bacula

Mike Stanczyk stanczyk at pcisys.net
Wed Sep 14 13:24:39 MDT 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Dan Ferris wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with Bacula?
> I'm thinking about dumping AMANDA (which I hate) and trying out Bacula.
> Any advice or experiences would be welcomed.
>
> Dan

My Experience:  *Bleck*-ula

I wanted to try it out too.  Got the tar.gz file, unpacked it, start
./configure.  It couldn't find my mysql.  *sigh*

Got the RPM files.  Couldn't install the RPM's unless the mysql root
password was empty.  Huh?  Ok, I set the password to blank since the
test machine was Internet connected.

Turns out that all the different GUI's are for monitoring, the only
way I saw to setup and manage the actual backup was with the command
line interface.

That's fine for me but the people who I was investigating Backula for
would be totally hosed.

Your Milage May Vary
Mike