[lug] Re: Qwest Basic service w/ single static IP (Calvin Dodge)

Matt James matuse at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 23:36:58 MDT 2005

1) We have only one static ip, the link is using PPPoA.
    Are there devices (e.g. a straight dsl modem) that we
    can use to get a bridged connection instead of a routed
    one? If so does qwest have to be involved in making it
    a bridged connection?

I have IPcop setup in bridged mode with my Actiontec modem.  I am using
Qwest Internet basic with a single static IP.  I needed to have my
static IP assigned to the IPcop box so I could do VPN stuff.  The
documentation for all of this is extreemly lacking and what is there is
rather misleading.  oh - BTW - qwest knows nothing about putting the
actiontech in RFC1483 bridged mode.  They do not have to be involved
and it's best to not even call them becuase you'll just waste your
time.

2) If we can't bridge w/o qwest's cooperation, are there
    any DSL modem+router combos where you really can use
    the wan interface for hosting inet services?

Again - I use IPcop (www.ipcop.org) - it works great.

3) Does qwest use bridged mode when you get a block of
    ips vs a single one?

Not real sure how they do that.

I have made some of my own documentation on how to get the Actiontech
into bridged mode using PPPoE for auth.  Let me know if you would like
a copy.   I'm also working on documenting my VPN adventures with this
thing if anyone is interested in those as well.

Good luck.

Matt