[lug] Re: Qwest Basic service w/ single static IP

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Thu Sep 15 12:42:26 MDT 2005

D. Stimits wrote:
> William D. Knoche wrote:
>
>> You might try putting the Actiontec into "transparent Bridge" mode and
>> use your own router on the inside.
>> Somewhat of a pain since the "modem" can't be seen on the net and has
>> no address so you have to physically touch it to do anything with it
>> (reset and use the direct connection to modify configuration).
>> This has worked out much better for me and also solved some of my VOIP
>> issues.
>

> If the bridge runs linux inside, you can set two or more virtual IP's to
> one interface. The interface the outside world sees can continue to have
> no IP, while the interface seen by the inside could have a not-routable
> 192.x.x.x. Nobody on the outside would be able to see the inside IP.
I have thought about trying to assign an address to the bridge. The routing
looked like it would be a problem. If you combine ppp0 and eth0 into the
bridge device br0, I don't think you use ppp0 or eth0 for routing anymore.
I don't think they can be assigned addresses as they have to have addresses
of 0.0.0.0 before they can be added to the bridge device.