[lug] Qwest Basic service w/ single static IP

D. Frye dafr at peakpeak.com
Fri Sep 16 06:41:17 MDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 04:29:02AM -0600, Daniel Webb wrote:
} On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 02:15:49PM -0600, Lee Woodworth wrote:
}
} > We are setting up dsl basic internet service. The setup and
} > all goes fine for outbound internet connectivity.
} >
} > The problem is the qwest supplied actiontec GT701 dsl modem.
} > It has an embedded DNS forwarder that is taking over the DNS
} > ports and we are trying to run a secondary DNS server. There
} > will be a similar issue with running a web server.
} >
} > The short of it is that actiontec support says the forwarder
} > can't be turned off and our attempts to kill it/bypass it
} > haven't worked.
} >
} > I've looked in the howtos and searched the web, but found
} > no answers to the following questions. The qwest web site has
} > almost zero information of any use. Hoping to avoid dealing w/
} > qwest tech support as the chances of getting someone that
} > knows the answer is slim.
}
} Have you looked into other providers?  Speakeasy is the only other provider I
} have personal experience with, but I can tell you the difference between
} Speakeasy and Qwest is night and day when it comes to technical support.  Even
} their bottom-tier people know what they're talking about.  There have also
} been recommendations on this list for several local providers that sound like
} they can provide that kind of service too.  I'm paying $55/month for 1.5/384
} with 1 static IP, and Speakeasy is the only provider I know of that allows you
} to run any server at that price, and also explicitly allow wireless sharing in
} their TOS.  Can any of the local providers match all those terms?  I would
} have gone local (assuming any of them could match all the conditions I just
} mentioned), but I thought it was likely I'd have to move before the contract
} was up.  Also, my service always seems to go out at night and I figured a
} national provider would have better tech support at night, is that the case?

I will second this recommendation. Initially, I had the Qwest ISP, and
then they transitioned to MSN as the provider, so I went with a partnering
ISP. The difference was incredible: I could talk to someone who knew
something about the product without reading off a script, would actually
try to locate answers if they didn't know already, and there was a
minimal amount of wait time when I needed to talk to someone.

When I moved from there, I was unable to get DSL in the new subdivision
because the hardware wasn't in place. Once SpeedTrail.net (a Suburban
Broadband company) bought and installed their own equipment in the local
MUX, they earned my business by being the first to offer broadband in my
area. I have not been disappointed so far, and they even permit me to
run a server behind my static IP.

If you don't have a contract that locks you in for a long time, you may
want to consider switching to an alternate ISP. The cost may be a little
more than what you pay Qwest, but it's worth the money, to me, to deal
with a company that I know I can call and get straight answers from, and
in a timely manner.

http://www.qwest.com/residential/internet/isp_list.html#CO
http://www.qwest.com/smallbusiness/internet/isp_list.html#CO

--