[lug] Qwest Basic service w/ single static IP

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Sep 18 01:38:21 MDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 01:12:15PM -0600, William D. Knoche wrote:

> I went the other way. I use Qwest Basic which gives me little or no services
> from Qwest other than the static IP. I bought a used Actiontec for $15 so
> don't even pay for the monthly rental ($5/month) on that. I believe this is
> currently costing me $29 for the DSL and $10 for the ISP parts, so $39
> total. It is 1.5/384.
> I run all of my own services, dns (server/client), ntp, mail, web, voip,
> etc... so really all I needed was a static ip and connectivity.

I don't see that plan on their website, is it a business or home service?  Who
is the ISP?  When I researched a lot of providers to decide who to go with,
Qwest's terms of service for the price range you're talking about said no
servers, as did everyone else under $75 or so except Speakeasy.  If they
suddenly decide to start enforcing their TOS, what would happen?  I have seen
outgoing port 25 blocked on a Qwest DSL line in Louisville.

Also, when I was with Qwest, the Actiontec modem was a piece of *#!@ and
needed to be reset every few weeks.  With the wireless feature turned on, it
couldn't stay up more than a day, so I had to buy another wireless router too.