[lug] Qwest Basic service w/ single static IP

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Mon Sep 19 03:12:48 MDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 10:11:27PM -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Obviously if you're looking for a provider you have to do more homework
> than this.

It took me several hours to get a fair comparison back when I was shopping for
a new provider, it's like cell phones and long distance providers, they change
constantly and they often don't make it easy to get all the details.

> So Daniel's point that Speakeasy isn't much more than Qwest basic is a good
> one, though it depends what specifically you want.  Qwest's upstream speed
> seems better (for the price we're talking), Speakeasy's tech support may be
> better for others.

Looks like Qwest has boosted their upstream speeds a lot since I was looking,
they were faster than Speakeasy when I did the research, but I don't remember
it being that much of a difference.  Hopefully Speakeasy will feel the
pressure and increase their upstream speeds at the low price, I occasionally
feel the limitation of 384kbit, that's pretty slow once you're spoiled with
1.5Mbit down and 10Mbit symmetric at work...