[lug] Bacula

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Sep 20 23:44:17 MDT 2005

D. Stimits wrote:

>>> Got the RPM files.  Couldn't install the RPM's unless the mysql root
>>> password was empty.  Huh?  Ok, I set the password to blank since the
>>> test machine was Internet connected.
>>>

>> Now you've hit a packaging bug - a critical one at that.
>

> One of the specs I've seen looking at rpm building documents for fedora
> is that they don't accept packages which require interaction, at least
> not for main packages...it would break automated install. Still, I'd
> think providing a setup script in /usr/share/docs/ would be better than
> embedding a fixed pass, or requiring no pass at all.

Yeah, they don't have anything like debconf that a developer can use to
provide "sane" defaults for automated installations while also giving
the user reconfiguration capabilities via dpkg-reconfigure, like
debconf'ized packages do.

I hate to think they haven't thought that far ahead, but you probably
know a lot more about RPM packaging than I do!  (You've been through a
lot of pain with your packaging attempts, it seems, from just reading
along.)  Perhaps there are some ways to do something similar with RPM
packages, but your notes about the package requirements make me think --
not.  Interesting.

Nate