[lug] Qwest Basic service w/ single static IP

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Sep 26 16:41:57 MDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 02:15:49PM -0600, Lee Woodworth wrote:
>It has an embedded DNS forwarder that is taking over the DNS
>ports and we are trying to run a secondary DNS server. There
>will be a similar issue with running a web server.

As far as I know, that's only an issue if you use the Actiontec as the DHCP
server.  If you have your own DHCP server and use different DNS than the
ActionTec, it won't be a problem.  At least, that has been my experience
with my ActionTec 701.

>The short of it is that actiontec support says the forwarder
>can't be turned off and our attempts to kill it/bypass it
>haven't worked.

You clearly need to try harder.  ;-)

>1) We have only one static ip, the link is using PPPoA.
>   Are there devices (e.g. a straight dsl modem) that we
>   can use to get a bridged connection instead of a routed
>   one? If so does qwest have to be involved in making it
>   a bridged connection?

Yes, the Cisco 678 will work with that, as will the ActionTec, but bridged
mode requires support from your ISP.  However, you *CAN* set up the
ActionTec with a local, publicly routable block of addresses on the
ethernet.  That's what I'm doing with mine.  It works fine and the internal
machines get all traffic.

We're not using QWest though.  When I set that line up, I was an NCIC
member, and I set up the router that terminates all DSL at NCIC, so I could
just log in and do what I needed to on that router to get it working.
We're no longer an NCIC member, but our friends at softhome.net are and so
they're esstentially our ISP.  You might want to contact them about getting
service and have them set you up in whatever way our line is configured.

>2) If we can't bridge w/o qwest's cooperation, are there
>   any DSL modem+router combos where you really can use
>   the wan interface for hosting inet services?

I believe the actiontec and others provide the ability for you to do NATing
so that TCP and UDP ports on your ActionTec are forwarded in to machines
behind it.

>3) Does qwest use bridged mode when you get a block of
>   ips vs a single one?

They do something so that you can put many machines behind it.  I don't
know if it's bridged though, I think it's just routed with a block of IPs
on the ethernet.  It's been a while since I set up one of those though, it
works just like you'd like though.

Sean
--
 I didn't spend 6 years in evil medical school to be called *MISTER* Evil!
                 -- Dr. Evil, _Austin_Powers:_International_Man_of_Mystery_