[lug] linux tv tuner cards?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 11:27:37 MDT 2005

I'm curious if anyone here has heard of television capture cards which
work under linux...but with this twist: Capable of using digital cable,
rather than just an analog tuner? Perhaps something PCI, so I can keep
using my current video card? It's only a matter of a year or less I
think before the local cable starts transmitting digital only (or making
digital available on all channels; but not in high definition for basic
channels), and the separate digital-to-analog tuners cost around $200
each. Unfortunately I'm not finding much, I have a feeling that nobody
wants to manufacture such a thing for fear of getting sued. Also I
imagine there are problems piping enough bandwidth to the video card
over an ordinary PCI bus, so I suspect that whatever solutions there
are, they'll be integrated with an expensive high-end video card as well.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net