[lug] mplayer and WMV

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Oct 10 10:40:40 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 10:05 -0600, Dan Ferris wrote:
> So,
>
> There I was on newegg and I accidently ended up with a new system with
> an AMD Athlon 4000.
>
> I installed the 64 bit version of Fedora Core 4.  It works all right.
>
> However...
>
> I cannot get the rpm version of mplayer to find it's codecs.  They are
> all extracted to /usr/local/lib/codecs.  I have symbolic links set up
> from there to /usr/local/lib/win32, /usr/local/lib64/codecs,
> /usr/local/lib64/win32, /usr/lib/win32, and /usr/lib/codecs,
> /usr/lib64/win32, and /usr/lib64/codecs.  And nothing.  No WMV files
> will play on any web site that I visit.
>
> Has anyone had this problem?  I am assuming right now that I have to
> install a 32 bit version of mplayer.
>
> If mplayer and flash would work, the system would be perfect (I'm not
> even going there on the flashplayer and how lame Macromedia is).

If you want WMV codecs and flashplayer, you'll need 32-bit mplayer and
32-bit Firefox.  I'm surprised Fedora's Firefox isn't already 32-bit,
since I thought they'd done that already.

I'm not sure if Microsoft has released any 64-bit WMV codecs.  I have
Windows x64 at home but I believe Media Player is still a 32-bit app.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>