[lug] Vi and Bracket Indenting

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue Oct 11 17:48:09 MDT 2005

I'm trying to figure how to change vi's indenting behavior after typing a
curly bracket when writing C code. It seems to indent code between { }
brackets far too deeply. For example:
int test()
{
          /* codes starts way out here */
}

but what I want is an indent of one tab, set to about 2 or 4 spaces.

I tried a vin rc file and when I used it with vi -u vimrc I got no default
indent behavior, so I thought, "ah ha! the key is in here!" So I
progressively commented out each setting, and guess what? It was none of
these. The default indent behavior is somewhere else. But where? And how do
I modify it?

Anyone know?

TIA,
- Bill Thoen