[lug] speaking of CD-R's that suck...

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Sat Oct 29 19:03:23 MDT 2005

Lee Woodworth wrote:
> D. Stimits wrote:
>
>> I know I've had problems with CD-R's, but they were always cheap ones.
>> A plug for Tummi: I have better luck with the people there too, not
>> just the cd's :P
>>
>> But, that said, I might try and find a DVD-R (IDE), as prices are
>> coming down. Probably I'll just remove the existing CD drive, I don't
>> can't find cables to fit more than one such device at a time (case
>> shape problem combined with the location of the IDE headers on the
>> m/b). If CD-R's are that hard to find (and I know from experience
>> there is a lot of garbage out there in CD-R's), is there any
>> particular DVD burner someone can recommend (IDE) that works well with
>> Fedora/KRUD? Or is it worthwhile to buy an offboard controller and use
>> SATA? [I have no idea if SATA is problematic and picky or "just works"]
>
> I haven't seen SATA DVD readers/writers. Where have you seen them?
> I've had mixed luck with DVD writer and +/-RW media compatibility.
> One NEC had problems with memorex +RW but did fine with -RW even though
> it is supposed to handle both. From what I hear, DVD player compatibility
> can be problematic.

Plextor has the only one out now that I know about.  You can find it at
Newegg.  Surprisingly, it's the same price as the IDE drive.  I guess
the chip+interface for SATA isn't that expensive now.

It would be interesting to see out it works with Linux.  I assume
scanbus would see it as a SCSI drive (as it does SATA HDs) but does
burning use any of those kernel bits that are still b0rked with SATA
(i.e., those ioctl errors you get with an hdparm -tT)?

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/