[lug] speaking of CD-R's that suck...

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Sun Oct 30 12:43:08 MST 2005

Nick Golder wrote:
> On 2005-10-30 10:55 -0700, Lee Woodworth wrote:
>
>>D. Stimits wrote:
>>
>>>Is SATA working well on plain hard drives? The mentioned ioctl stuff
>>>makes me wonder if SATA is a good idea at all.
>>
>>The regular I/O works fine for me. Its the special commands that
>>tools like smartctl use that aren't passed through now.
>>

> Are you using the "-d scsi" switch with the drive?

I wasn't, but it doesn't help:

# smartctl -d scsi -i /dev/sda
smartctl version 5.33 [x86_64-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Device: ATA      SAMSUNG SP1614C  Version: SW10

SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by
smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an
additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools.