[lug] speaking of CD-R's that suck...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Oct 30 15:09:32 MST 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 06:39:48PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>someone can recommend (IDE) that works well with Fedora/KRUD? Or is it
>worthwhile to buy an offboard controller and use SATA? [I have no idea
>if SATA is problematic and picky or "just works"]

SATA support really depends on the chipsets being used.  SATA is probably
one of the things you have to be the most careful with as far as making
sure you have a controller that's supported.  I've had good luck with the
Intel PIIX controllers, but they're hard to find outside of a motherboard.
I've also had good luck with the 3Ware SATA controllers, but I never run
them with RAID enabled on the controller.  Their RAID management tool,
while better than most, is far inferior to the in-kernel stuff.  The down
side is that in-kernel is harder to do mirrored boot-blocks though...

So, either you'll get a controller that's good and just works, or you'll
have a world of pain.  I've had some systems that I had a heck of a time
getting to boot, and would finally just put in a $100 3ware card and call
it done.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 If java had real garbage-collection, it would delete most programs
 before it executed them.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 2002