[lug] Good tests of nVidia card?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Oct 31 13:06:56 MST 2005

Matt Thompson wrote:
> I recently got an upgrade of my work box and have been spending time
> doing all the usual fun things when that happens.  Recompiling programs,
> migrating home-items, etc.
>
> But, with this new box I go from an 8 MB Rage64 video card to a 256 MB
> nVidia 6800.  Thus, I don't really have much that I can use to test out
> the new card.  I have some OpenGL apps that I use in the chemistry work,
> but the molecules I work with aren't too taxing for the program it
> seems.
>
> So, I was hoping the list could give me some ideas on how to test out
> the all the new power I should have.  I know of things like America's
> Army, but downloading 800 MB of game for a work box isn't the best use
> of time.  Are there any smaller, video-intensive games I could grab to
> test the limits of the card?  You know, all those cool anti-aliasing,
> shadows, mip-map type things I always read about at Anandtech, but never
> had the hardware to try?

I've only had the low end nVidia cards, but they always do quite well. A
friend of mine is a lead programmer for some high end video game houses,
and he's always had good things to say about them on linux (he develops
on PS2 and linux servers on top of win32). I don't know of any intense
games on linux, perhaps Doom, but I've never installed it. There is,
however, an OpenGL rendering package that could be a good
indicator...the animation package "blender".
http://www.blender.org

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net