[lug] anyone know how PCI-E works with Xorg X11 hardware accel?

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Mon Oct 31 16:41:52 MST 2005

D. Stimits wrote:
> I'm curious about something...it used to be everyone with hardware accel
> had an AGP slot video card. To get hardware accel, the X11 server had to
> be set for this, plus a kernel module had to be enabled for using the
> AGP slot. With PCI Express, there is no more AGP slot, but there is a
> PCI-E driver. Does the X11 server not care if the source of the hardware
> accel is AGP versus PCI-E? Or is the server unaware of and uncaring of
> how it gets this ability? Does one PCI-E driver fit all hardware accel
> PCI-E video cards? And is it ready for "prime time" (especially on
> nVidia cards)?

Well, my latest box that I was asking about before is a new Dell with a
PCIe 6800.  And I get the requisite 8000 fps or whatever from glxgears
with the nVidia drivers.  And ppracer does work well, 120 fps with all
the video whizbang I could figure out.

Now, I'm not sure about the Xorg driver, nv, but it did work for the
short time before I downloaded nVidia's drivers.  Maybe to get all that
DRI jazz working takes more.  All this was without much effort on my
side and the rather basic anaconda/xorgconf xorg.conf file from Fedora:

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "NVIDIA Unknown (generic)"
EndSection

Someday I'll try to figure out if there are more Option's I need here,
but it works just fine like that.

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/