[lug] LSI scsi controller opinions

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 2 14:32:24 MST 2005

D. Stimits wrote:

> I'm starting to see some nice motherboards out there which offer
> integrated LSI SCSI controllers (e.g., 53C1030). Now I know the
> Adaptec stuff works quite well, but I'm curious if anyone here has any
> experience with the newer LSI controllers...if so, what are your
> thoughts on quality and reliability (linux software side)?

Reading through email and noticed scant replies to your post.  No expert
here, but I have used two LSI controllers without problems.  Recently
installed a LSI21320B in a "cutting edge" system and it is working
fine.  I believe I had some install issues, but that was mainly from
installing the new but already dated Debian Sarge.

On your SATA post...  Same caveat as above applies.  I put a Plextor
716SA SATA drive in that same machine.  The drive worked fine with
Ubuntu but is still sitting unused with Sarge.  I think that is a
controller issue though and not the drive.  Someone here (I think)
suggested what I needed to do to get it going (kernel recompile) but I
have yet to follow through.

Gary