[lug] more hardware opinions?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Nov 2 18:48:10 MST 2005

It seems there are way more cpu types available now than just a few
years ago, and almost all of them have gone way down in price. I'm
especially noticing some opteron boards. I know the opterons work in
linux, and that they have both 32 bit and 64 bit instructions natively.
What I'm really curious about though is how opterons would compare to
something like the most recent pentiums, or the athlons? Does anyone
here have any experience or heard anything one way or another as to
where opterons, athlons, and newer Intel cpu's compare on the food chain?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net