[lug] more hardware opinions?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 19:29:49 MST 2005

On 11/2/05, D. Stimits <stimits at comcast.net> wrote:
> It seems there are way more cpu types available now than just a few
> years ago, and almost all of them have gone way down in price. I'm
> especially noticing some opteron boards. I know the opterons work in
> linux, and that they have both 32 bit and 64 bit instructions natively.
> What I'm really curious about though is how opterons would compare to
> something like the most recent pentiums, or the athlons? Does anyone
> here have any experience or heard anything one way or another as to
> where opterons, athlons, and newer Intel cpu's compare on the food chain?

If you want cpu information in verbose (!!!) form, look up the CentOS
archives from 1-3 months back. There's a guy named Bryan J Smith who
waxes eloquent for pages and pages on every imaginable topic, but he
covered a lot of the basics about recent cpus and memory management.
What little I remember, AMD has two 64-bit lines, one of them for
consumers with normal memory chips, and one for commercial use
supporting only ECC registered chips. The Pentium 64-bit stuff is not
as good, due to lack of internal paths, but that's about all I
remember.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write