[lug] mounting zip drive fails: special device /dev/hdc4 does not exist

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Nov 3 09:02:20 MST 2005

bof wrote:
> Bear Giles wrote:
>
>> Does your kernel include support for "ide-floppy"?  It's probably
>> not in a standard kernel but it may be a module.  (I don't know -
>> I always build it into my kernel.
>
> Well, I can mount the floppy OK, as a user, using "mount /media/floppy".
>
> I still think the problem is in one of the permissions files for SE Linux.

Floppy != IDE Floppy.  The latter is poorly named since all media
(afaik) are rigid, but it refers to removable, random-access media
that uses the IDE controller.  It uses the same major and minor
device numbers as other IDE drives.  The former uses the older
floppy controller and uses a different major number.

As an aside IDE-tape refers to removable, sequential access media
like those cheaper tape drives.  They use different major device
numbers.

Bear