[lug] Can Unix Samba server copy files from Windows shares?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Nov 3 16:36:09 MST 2005

Hugh Brown wrote:
> You can script stuff with smbclient and expect or maybe just use
> smbmount (write a script that mounts the share, rsync's it off, umounts
> the share)

I wonder whether rsync will realize that an smbmount'd filesystem is
across the network and do its incremental algorithm.  Looks like not,
but you can override that.

> Or go for a more thorough approach (e.g. amanda as was suggested, a full
> featured back up system, ...)

If you aren't using amanda already, don't start now.  But if you want
something more "enterprise", you can use bacula--it has a Win client so
they can back themselves up.  May not do registry stuff well yet, but I
can think of a couple of workarounds to that.

Dave