[lug] Cheap Old Servers

William D. Knoche Bill.Knoche at Sun.COM
Thu Nov 3 17:13:33 MST 2005

> I have had good luck with the hardware picked up at the auctions but not
> such good luck with getting good deal (which has occasionaly meant I
> walked away empty handed and a day wasted).  It depends on /who/ is
> there - there have been absolutely huge turn outs and really great deals
> to be had and small turn outs in which you have to make sure you are not
> in a parallel universe because there is no conceivable way that bidder
> "y" just paid that amount for that lot...  strange...

I have always been amazed at auctions and this one is no exception - it
seems folks pay way more than they should and often for just junk. I
haven't had any problems with the CU auctions and I have attended many.
But I too often go away completely empty handed shaking my head in
amazement that someone would actually pay such high prices for
un-warrantied, un-certain-state equipment.
I will likely be there again this weekend but with low expectations. If
you go then just know what you need, know what the maximum you should
pay is and don't get caught up in it. If you get a deal then great; if
not, walk away. At least you won't have wasted anything more than time.
You might get a far better deal from someone here on this list...
I don't have any surplus x86 stuff right now, sorry. I do have some
older Sun Sparc gear I don't use anymore.

--bill